Tag Archives: egg

NEW GUIDELINE FOR PREVENTION OF PEANUT ALLERGY: WHERE WE STAND NOW IN PREVENTING FOOD ALLERGIES

FCAAIA Notes: Early introduction of solids including peanut decreases the risk of later allergy.  This recently published guideline regarding early introduction of allergenic foods is an extension of the LEAP and EAT studies about which I previously posted.  Babies with … Continue reading

Posted in Doctor's Posts | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

EARLY INTRODUCTION OF EGG, PEANUT LOWERS RISK FOR ALLERGY

FCAAIA Notes: The EAT (Enquiring About Tolerance) study  was published early this year by the same researchers in London who published the LEAP and LEAP-On studies.  This meta-analysis confirms the findings of EAT giving us assurance that its findings are … Continue reading

Posted in Doctor's Posts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

AAP: FLU SHOT, NOT NASAL SPRAY, RECOMMENDED FOR 2016-2017

FCAAIA Notes: If you paid attention over the last few years, there were reports that the flu shots those years were not very effective.  Unfortunately, this encouraged many patients to not be immunized because they thought it wasn’t worth it … Continue reading

Posted in Doctor's Posts | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

EARLY INTRODUCTION OF FOOD ALLERGENS GETS MIXED RESULTS

FCAAIA Notes: The EAT study described here was a natural follow-up to last year’s LEAP study.  Unfortunately, the protocol was very difficult to follow as it required that some 3-6 month old children were given a relatively large amount of … Continue reading

Posted in Doctor's Posts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

NO ADVERSE EVENTS REPORTED FOR PATIENTS WITH EGG ALLERGY RECEIVING LIVE ATTENUATED INFLUENZA VACCINE

FCAAIA Notes: This article is more of a reminder than news.  In fact, influenza vaccine is so safe in egg allergic patients that even the recommended 30 minute observation after injection is (in my opinion) probably over-cautious.  The recommendation that … Continue reading

Posted in Doctor's Posts | Tagged , , | Comments Off on NO ADVERSE EVENTS REPORTED FOR PATIENTS WITH EGG ALLERGY RECEIVING LIVE ATTENUATED INFLUENZA VACCINE

ORAL IMMUNOTHERAPY FOR EGG ALLERGY

FCAAIA Notes: I have written about food oral immunotherapy (OIT) many times in this column.  This is another study indicating that OIT to food, in this case egg, is not 100% effective, is not a permanent cure if not continued … Continue reading

Posted in Doctor's Posts | Tagged , , | Comments Off on ORAL IMMUNOTHERAPY FOR EGG ALLERGY

EGG AND MILK ALLERGIES HARDEST ON CAREGIVER QUALITY OF LIFE

FCAAIA Notes: There is no question whatsoever that food allergy has a huge impact on the quality of life of patients and their family members. Our relatively recent recognition that many children with milk and egg allergy can tolerate the … Continue reading

Posted in Doctor's Posts | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on EGG AND MILK ALLERGIES HARDEST ON CAREGIVER QUALITY OF LIFE

MORE EVIDENCE FLU SHOT IS SAFE IN EGG-ALLERGIC

FCAAIA Notes:  More than 15 years ago, Dr. Lester was an investigator in a study showing the safety of giving influenza vaccine to children with egg allergy in a split-dose (10%, followed 30 minutes later by the other 90%). Now, … Continue reading

Posted in Doctor's Posts | Tagged , | Comments Off on MORE EVIDENCE FLU SHOT IS SAFE IN EGG-ALLERGIC

KIDS ALLERGIC TO HEN’S EGG TOLERATE BAKED EGG

FCAAIA Notes: Life has gotten easier for patients with egg allergy and their families.  This research and related studies have shown that a large proportion of children who cannot tolerate eggs per se can, in fact, tolerate eggs in baked … Continue reading

Posted in Doctor's Posts | Tagged , | Comments Off on KIDS ALLERGIC TO HEN’S EGG TOLERATE BAKED EGG

ALLERGIC TO EGGS? IT’S OK TO GET A FLU SHOT

FCAAIA Notes: Patients with egg allergy may safely receive influenza vaccine in either a single shot or a dose split in to two shots. Influenza vaccine testing and desensitization is rarely if ever needed. The first indication of the safety … Continue reading

Posted in Doctor's Posts | Tagged , | Comments Off on ALLERGIC TO EGGS? IT’S OK TO GET A FLU SHOT
This website does not replace physician care. For medical advice, diagnosis, and treatment please contact a physician. Personal data collected through this website is not distributed or made available to the public.
FAIRFIELD COUNTY ALLERGY, ASTHMA AND IMMUNOLOGY ASSOCIATES © 2008, all rights reserved. Website by Design to Spec LLC